Sunday, December 7, 2008

I don't even know what day it is anymore!!

The hospital where I work is merging with another hospital and it has played havoc with my life! Our pay periods are in two week increments and I used to work 16 hours one week and 24 hours the next. I was working evening shift 3pm to 11 pm. That qualified me for insurance. Well, with the merger my cost for insurance was going to be about $75.00 more per pay period unless I increased my hours to 60 per pay period. Soooo, with the economy being what it is and my husband's business taking major hits I decided that it was time to bite the bullet and just go whole hog and jump up to 40 hours per week. The problem was though that if I worked 5 evenings a week I would never see Austin. And if I went to day shift (have I told you all how I'm soooooooo not a morning person!?!?) I would lose the $4.00/hr shift differential. So I put on my thinking cap and came up with what sounded like a brilliant idea (emphasis on sounded like). I proposed to my manager that I work two double shifts a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays and just stay on eight hour shifts on my weekends (every other weekend). She agreed to my proposal and the insanity started this past Tuesday. I go in at 3pm and don't get off until 7:30 am the next day. What in the world was I thinking? I did, however, survive my first week and thanks be to all that is holy this happened to be my weekend off and I'm trying to recover! I've decided that this is just going to be one of those mind over matter things and I am determined to make it work. When I got off work yesterday morning it was pretty nice to realize that I'd only gone to work twice and had 4 days worth of hours already. Sooo, if you read something I've written here some day and you think that maybe it sounds a little wacky....chalk it up to sleep deprivation! In the meantime....please pray for my sanity! lol

I also want to tell you all about something that I'm pretty sure is in the works around here. My daughter, Emily, kind of let it slip to me last week that Sarah and Bennie made another attempt at artificial insemination a few weeks ago. I haven't asked Sarah about it. I knew after the last miscarriage that she would not tell anyone the next time she was pregnant until she was far enough along that she felt safe. I completely understand that and for that reason have not asked any questions. However, my Mom radar has been on high alert! lol

I was talking to Sarah on the phone yesterday and I swear I could hear it in her voice! So, later, being the super-sleuth mother that I am I checked out her My Space page. And guess what she had written there? "Sarah is a very happy girl", and she listed her mood as "grateful". Then, sneaky thing that I am, I meandered over to her Facebook page and sure enough the message there said, "Sarah is very happy". I know my girl and I know that only good lab numbers and ultrasound results would warrant those comments. I think I know what we're getting for Christmas! So, I'm praying that this little miracle has a good tight hold in there and that by Christmas Sarah and Bennie will be breathing easier and are able to finally celebrate. I will keep you all posted and I thank you for all the prayers that have been said for them. Please don't stop.


Leslie said...

shhhhhhh... prayers sent and fingers crossed that Sarah remains HAPPY and that you recieve this special good news on Christmas.

Wow,they are crazy long hours. I think that it's great that you try to do more for your family and save enough home time for Austin. It's gotta be hard!!

Anonymous said...

I do hours like that for interning.. I would be ECSTATIC to get paid for it. LOL!

I can understand the adjustment for you though--It's gotta be rough.

I am praying with all my might for Sarah & Bennie!

Jeannette said...

I do not envy you those hours. That would not be allowed over here, someone working straight through like that. People are only allowed to do twelve hour shifts.

Oh, I do hope you are right about your daughter. What a tremendous Christmas present that would be. Fingers crossed for all concerned.

garnett109 said...

Sanity? I have not found mine in years.

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

With a double shift, hopefully it is busy so you do not feel the tiredness until you are home :o)

Mum's the word on the "happy" news.

Beth said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed...!

A friend of mine at the lab recently went to power weekends. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, he works 12-hour shifts and gets paid for 40 hours. He is absolutely loving it so far, because he has 4 days in a row to stay home with his family. A lot of people don't realize how stressful health care jobs can be, and having that time where you are physically away from the building can be a huge boost!

I hope it works out so you can have those days at home!

All my best,

kbear's heart 2 said...

whew what a shift! i'll keep you in my prayers along with the HAPPY news. i'll be anxiously waiting for the Christmas news:-) Hugz~kbear

Cindi said...

wow what a shift!!!!! cant wait to hear the happy news!!!!!

Terri said...

I hope you get use to your new schedule and it works out for you...I work at a hospital too...I can relate...although I am normally on an 8hr a day..40 hour a week shift...but this week we had to work 2 10hr days...and then 4 on saturday... doesn't it just suck the life out of ya...I know it does me..haha

How exciting keeping your daughter and Bennie in my thoughts and prayers in hoping you get great news at Christmas of a precious miracle!